Who can use this Vehicle Hire Agreement?
Anyone who wants to hire out a car, lorry or other vehicle to a business can use this vehicle hire agreement.
What is this vehicle hire agreement for?
You need certainty when hiring a vehicle – whether you are the owner or the hirer. This vehicle hire agreement sets out the rules.
Please note it is not suitable for hiring to consumers as it is not written with consumer credit legislation in mind.
For an agreement to hire other equipment, see our document A145
What are the main issues?
These are fairly straightforward and include:
- The basic details of the transaction – the vehicle, length of hire, charges and payment terms. This will be set out in a schedule
- the hirer’s general duties and responsibilities, which include some prohibitions – e.g. using it for racing or tuition of a learner driver
- the owner’s general obligations which are fairly limited and include replacing the vehicle if it breaks down through no fault of the hirer
- insurance and indemnity – usually the owner arranges insurance and the hirer gives an indemnity for certain losses and expenses he incurs including parking penalties and speeding fines
What detailed terms does the contract contain?
This agreement contains 10 clauses covering
- hire agreement
- delivery of vehicle
- hirer’s general obligations
- owner’s general obligations
- hire charges and payment
- insurance and indemnity
- governing law and disputes
For more information on each of these sections, see our Explanatory Notes which you will receive when you download the document from our website.
And if you want to use the Notes, let us know by using our contact form
For information on signing documents see our Contract Signing page
When I download the document, can I change it and/or use it more than once?
Yes, all ContractStore’s templates are in MS Word and you can use the contract on more than one project. For more information, watch the video on this page of our website or see our FAQs
ContractStore supplies templates and is not a law firm. But all our templates are written by experienced commercial lawyers so we can arrange legal assistance for customers who need special terms in one of our documents or a bespoke template. . For more information see our Legal Services page.
And if you want to contact us see our Contacts page.
If you have any questions about a contract and/or want to see the Explanatory Notes before you buy, please let us know by using our contact form